To qualify, residences must be located in the Paso Robles Groundwater Basin. The following fixtures are eligible for replacement:
- Toilets that use more than 1.6 gallons per flush (GPF); and
- Showerheads that use more than 1.5 gallons per minute (GPM).
- Eligible toilets will be replaced with new 1.28 GPF models, and eligible showerheads will be replaced with new 1.5 GPM or less models. One gallon per minute (GPM) sink faucet aerators are also available.
Funding is limited. Participants will be accepted on a first come, first served basis. Contact Jacqueline Protsman at email@example.com or (805) 781-4979 for more information.
How Can I Determine the Volume of My Existing Fixtures?
To determine the volume of your existing toilet in gallons per flush (GPF), look for the following:
- Most 1.6 GPF toilets have a "1.6 gpf" stamp located near where the bowl meets the tank (Image #1, below).
- Other 1.6 GPF toilets have a "ULF" (ultra-low flow) stamp located on the underside of the tank lid (Image #2, below).
- Other toilets should have a date stamp located on the underside of the tank lid (Image #3, below). Toilets dated prior to Jan 1, 1980 use 6.0 GPF, toilets dated between Jan 1, 1980 and Jan 1, 1994 use 3.5 GPF, and those dated after Jan 1, 1994 use 1.6 GPF.
To determine the volume of your existing showerhead in gallons per minute (GPM), follow these steps:
- Make sure that the showerhead is in its normal position.
- Place a large container under the showerhead, turn on the water, and collect the water for 10 seconds.
- Measure the quantity of water in the container and convert the measurement to gallons (there are 128 ounces in a gallon).
- Multiply the converted result by 6 to determine the showerheads volume in gallons per minute.
Do Efficient Toilets Work?
Worried that the new 1.28 gallons per flush (GPF) model wont do the job? Check out the independent performance testing that was done on hundreds of toilets! Look up the brand and model youre interested in or find the most efficient and best-flushing toilets on the market.