How are Property Owners Affected?

Page Header

How are Property Owners Affected by Water Requirements?


On October 27, 2015, The Board adopted Resolution 2015-288. The resolution included changes to the County Code that affected new construction and new irrigated agriculture in the Paso Robles Groundwater Basin.

You can check this map to determine if your property is subject to the requirements.

Adopted Ordinances

Resolution 2015-288 (Resolution adopting the following ordinances)

Ordinance 3306 (Title 8) Ordinance 3306 (Amendment to Title 8 Health and Sanitation Ordinance)

  • Well Permit Requirements

  • Water Waste Prevention

Ordinance 3307 (Amendment to Title 19 Building and Construction Ordinance)

  • New Construction Water Offset Requirements

Ordinance 3308 (Amendment to Title 22 Land Use Ordinance)

  • New irrigated agriculture water offset requirements

Ordinance 3309 (Amendment to the County Fee Schedule)

  • Fees for Agricultural Offset Clearances and Well Meter Inspections

How is new construction affected by Resolution 2015-288?

New construction in the PRGWB must offset water use at a 1:1 ratio. The County runs a water conservation program to generate credits that applicants can purchase to meet the water offset requirement. This requirement must be met at the time of permit issuance.

How is new or expanded irrigated agriculture affected by Resolution 2015-288?

Title 22 requires that any new irrigated agriculture in the Paso Robles Groundwater Basin offset projected new water use.

Discretionary Permits in the Basin

On September 25, 2012, the Board of Supervisors adopted the Paso Robles Groundwater Basin Water Conservation Ordinance. The Ordinance requires large land uses to offset new water use at a 2:1 ratio, prohibits the creation of new parcels in the basin, and requires changes to the County General Plan to be water neutral. This Ordinance does not affect:

  • The cities of Paso Robles or Atascadero, or the towns of Templeton, San Miguel or Shandon;

  • The drilling of wells; or

  • The building of a single family home

Well Requirements

New agricultural wells in the Paso Robles Groundwater Basin must obtain an Agricultural Offset Clearance from the Planning Department before a well permit can be issued. 

In addition, new and existing wells that serve either new construction or sites involved in an Agricultural Offset Clearance are required to have a well meter.